Thursday, September 1, 2011

So yeah, I'm, um, a little behind on updating here

I went through another major period of, "Oh Goddess, am I actually doing this?!?!" that had me not really feeling like updating for a while. So you get a strong of short updates about specific parts of the last 2 months.

In general: I am starting to settle into the whole idea of being a mom, and how it's going to change my life. My current social life isn't family/baby/child-friendly, so that's a real change for me. Fortunately, D and I both have been getting more involved in our UU congregation- that's Unitarian Universalist, for those of you who have never heard of it. If you don't feel like clicking the link, the very basic unifying belief is that we don't care what you believe or Who you believe in- as long as you live that belief with an eye to making the world a better place.
Most importantly for us right now- aside from the fact that I'm a much nicer person when my spiritual needs are being met- like all 'churches', it's very family-oriented. That means free child-care on Sundays, other parents and grandparents with lots of great advice and suggestions and stuff they don't need (wooohooooo! free baby/maternity stuff!), and family-friendly gatherings where I can not only take the baby, but talk to actual grown-ups, something I'm given to understand I'll reallllly miss by about 9 weeks into having a newborn.

Relationship: D and I are also starting couples' counseling next week. We've been going really strong recently, as we settle into one another's communication styles, but I still like to have regular counseling because I consider it no different that car maintenance- you get your car checked out regularly and listen to the expert about how to keep it running well, right? Why would you be squeamish about doing the same thing in your relationship?

Doctory-stuff: We switched to a new midwifery practice- Intown Midwifery, for those in Atlanta- and we're pretty thrilled so far. At their monthly meet'n'greet, they pretty much said everything we wanted to hear:
-Birth is a normal experience- we're here to help you through it, not take it away from you, although we're prepared to help you through any potential complication
-We'll respect your birth plan and your feelings about drugs (in my case- 'I know they're there, I'll ask if I need them but otherwise don't offer them)
-We, and the hospital (Atlanta Medical Center) automatically offer lactation consultants if you've indicated interest in breastfeeding
-AMC offers water births and the midwives are very comfortable with them
-We will not take your child away from you right after the birth unless they medically require monitoring or you request it
-We do not perform routine episiotemies
Yeah... basically everything we wanted to hear- and they take the insurance I currently have! Woohoo!
Next week, since we missed it the last time, we'll be taking the Labor & Delivery tour

Physically: I can definitely tell I'm pregnant, and not just in the "OMG I can't eat anything and I'm tired all the time," way. My breasts are a full cup size larger, I don't fit in any of my regular pants (yoga pants are my best friend), and my belly is still small but hard and round.
Also, I feel full after 5 bites but hungry again 20 minutes later, and am starting to get heartburn if I lie down too soon after eating (<1hr).
Frankly, I'm still not physically enjoying pregnancy, but *shrugs* not everyone does and I refuse to feel bad about not being one of those sparkling, happy, glowing pregnant chicks.

No comments:

Post a Comment