Thursday, December 22, 2011

Priorities

Girl on Saturday wrote this timely post about The Life You Lead Every Day and who you really are.
I started to respond, and ended up writing an entire post instead.

Pregnancy is teaching me my limits, in a way that nothing else ever has.
Not 8mos on crutches while I was in the Navy, not even a broken collarbone, 2 surgeries, 3 weeks of bed rest, and 6 mos in a sling.
And I hate it.
I hate it I hate it I hate it!
I don't have limits, dammit!

But I do.

I have limited energy, no sex drive, terrible heartburn, insomnia, and oh yeah- a little person growing in my body who takes some offense to my idiotic schedule and refusal to rest or supply him with enough nutrition.

Shit.

I could ignore that for myself.... not so much for our child.

So I'm learning to cope.

  • Lowering my number of obligations on a given day.
  • Stretching out my to-do list by the week, not every day.
  • Accepting help.
  • Napping.
  • Scheduling recharge time (those naps are a great example)

So what does that mean in concrete terms?

  • No Winter Solstice Party this year- but participating in the church's ritual instead.
  • Misfits' Christmas Dinner means I only cook 3 dishes, not my usual 'entire meal'. Also, paper plates this year. I can go back to being a rabid environmentalist on the 26th.
  • Asking for help to come over and clean with me tomorrow and maybe help me cook.
  • Only hitting 1-2 stores at a time while Christmas shopping, instead of my usual marathon of shopping, baking, creating, and wrapping in one day.
  • Asking D for help, even when I feel guilty about it (the man works two jobs, I'm allowed to feel guilty even if I am pregnant!)
  • Lowering my cooking standards, and eating frozen bagged meals once a week when I feel like crap.
But there are things too important to me to give up:
  • Regular attendance at my church (um, I can haz support system?)
  • Having a clean house
  • Semi-regular social interaction with people who make me feel good
  • My holiday traditions, such as Solstice Tea in honor of my Nana
  • Continuing to be known as a good/thoughtful gift-giver
Priorities. We all have them. So what if mine are a little Martha Stewart-ish.... only without the jail time.

No comments:

Post a Comment